Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Modern Outdoor Furniture Tutorial: Part 2

Cushions:


For the cushions I usually use balsa wood.  It's really light weight and easy to cut.


 First I covered the ends with a small piece of fabric and use a little extra bit of glue at the corners and pinch the corners closed.
 Once the glue is dried I snip off the extra fabric.

Then I cut a piece of fabric roughly the right size to cover the rest of the cushion the press the edges under to the correct size.  I found this awesome tiny iron at JoAnn Fabrics.  I believe it's for pressing quilting seams.  Of course I used a 40% off coupon.
 
 I line up the fabric then glue just along the edges.
 
 Finished cushion.
 
Here are the cushions on the chair base.
 
For this sofa, I used Carol's (Pepper from Mitchy Moo Miniatures) method of upholstering.  She has a great tutorial.
 
 
Legs:
 
For the legs, I usually use dowels or aluminum tubing.  I was out of the right sized aluminum tubing so I used an aluminum channel from the hardware store.
 
 Using a metal cutting bit on my little saw from Harbor Freight Tools, I cut small pieces from the aluminum channeling.

Then I filed the rough edges.
 
 Then I glued the legs to the bottom using Quick Grip.
 
Voila!

12 comments:

  1. Did you use your hobby saw to cut the aluminium? I always run out of ideas when it comes to legs and have been looking for other materials to use.

    Really love the use of bright colours on your designs =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a bench top cut off saw to cut the aluminum. I put a link to it so you can see what it looks like. I've used my Proxxon table saw to cut aluminum before but it REALLY dulls the blade. As I'm sure you know, they aren't cheap!

      Delete
  2. Oh well done Cyd! Nice, bright colors and still so very modern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (not sure if my first comment went through)
    Awesome tutorials. The outdoor furniture looks fab, love it! Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this might be the mini anglepoise lamp on Neo Mini's blog that you asked about. It's 4.6" and $17.95.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060WIJBE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
    (I just asked her if it is in her comments).

    There is also the Mustard Tiny Tim Booklight that is about 5.1"

    The Shopping Sherpa found it a few years ago and it pops up in newer posts:
    http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2011/10/night-on-tiles.html

    MiniModern has both black and red ones:
    http://minimodern.blogspot.com/search?q=just+mustard
    http://www.justmustard.com/tiny-tim-red.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. The last two links got joined together
      Here are Mini Modern's pics:
      http://minimodern.blogspot.com/search?q=just+mustard

      And here is the company that makes the Tiny Tim reading lights
      http://www.justmustard.com/tiny-tim-red.html

      Delete
  5. Very cool tutorial! Thanks for sharing. One more item for my list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Thanks for the idea, it is great!
    I have now made my own chair.... my chair's design isn't so cool as yours... ;) I did put the link into the text to your blog about this!
    Thanks and Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kikka, I didn't see the link. I'd love to see what you did!

      Delete