Sunday, February 19, 2012

What Was I Thinking? / Modfire Blunders

On my last post, I showed a couple pics of some really mod shelves that I was going to use for my "I'm a Giant" entry...well obviously I'm not going to have it done by the 15th.  Today is the 19th...duh!

Here is what I have done so far...
I made the sofa (did you notice that it doesn't have legs yet?) and the little cabinet in the back.

The table is an upside down soap dish that I bought to make into a bath tub, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I like it, but I think it dwarfs the cabinet a little.  The background is a herringbone fabric.

On to the modfire....ugh!
Large and In Charge and Pepper at Mitchy Moo Miniatures make it look soooo easy to make this awesome fireplace.  Well, FYI it's not that easy, at least not for me.  I just can't seem to get it to be nice and round nor can I get the curved edges even.

See all the lovely scratches from the dremel?  It looks much better in the photo than in real life.  Pepper and Meagan, any pointers?

3 comments:

  1. Step away from the Dremel...lol

    Okay so the way I got the shape was to curve the aluminium over something tubular. Try the spout of a watering can which has the same tapering thing going on. The cut outs are better done by hand. Sorry, it takes time, but it's far easier sanding (with wet and dry paper) to the template shape than trying to control the dremel.
    =0/
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...erm wet and dry or fine grit paper I should have said...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, Dremel... mine has gotten me in so much trouble! XD

    I haven't attempted this tutorial yet, so I applaud you for even trying XD I can't say I've done as much... but I need to!

    Anyhow, New follower here, I think my girls at the Majokko Shop will learn a lot as they build their own home, by looking at all that you've been creating.
    I've been checking out Miniature blogs and you guys have some seriously inspirational stuff posted!

    ReplyDelete